Mobile Device Security Tips
Commerce Bank wants to help keep you safe while you use your mobile device to browse the web, shop and use mobile banking. We encourage you to keep the following tips in mind:
- Password protect your device. Create a strong password consisting of letters (upper and lower case), numbers, and symbols or a PIN consisting of random numbers (don’t use something like “1234” or the last four digits of your Social Security number).
- Enable the automatic screen lock feature of your device.
- Don’t use an unsecured Wi-Fi network like those at coffee shops. Fraudsters may be able to intercept the transmissions through this network.
- Only download apps from an approved app store. The Commerce Bank Mobile Banking app is only available from the Apple App Store and Google Play.
- Use caution when downloading apps. Some apps may ask for unnecessary permissions that can be used to “listen” in on your communications or perform other malicious activity.
- Never click on links or attachments in unsolicited emails or texts. Be wary of emails purporting to be from banks that create a sense of urgency or that seem out of place (like “Click here to reset your password or your online banking account will be deactivated.”) Commerce Bank will never ask you for your personal information or your password in a text or email.
- Don’t set your phone to remember passwords.
- Turn on remote wiping apps like “Find my iPhone.”
- Consider installing Anti-virus software on your mobile device.
- Never “jailbreak” your iPhone or iPad. This substantially decreases the security of your device.
- Turn off Bluetooth, especially while using mobile banking, to prevent individuals from trying to “listen” in on your communications.
- Backup your phone.
- Turn on automatic updates for apps and update your device operating system regularly.
- Log out of sites or apps after using mobile banking or performing transactions.
- Wipe your device of all data before selling or donating it.
- Contact Commerce Bank at (662) 286-5577 if you lose your phone or other device so we can disable your mobile/internet banking account.
- Please report any suspected fraud immediately to us by phone at (662) 286-5577.
For more information, visit the following websites: